Where My Books Have Been: Bluestocking Books

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Even though Jordan had to work this weekend, he was able to take a few hours off on President's Day to check out Bluestocking Books with me.  Located in the beautiful Hillcrest neighborhood in San Diego, Bluestocking Books is an independent bookstore that specializes in new, used, and rare books.  In fact, if there's a particular edition or hard-to-find title that you're looking for, they can help you track it down.

Bluestocking also carries a variety of vintage records, posters, magazines, and artwork, and the store is especially popular with people who want to trade credit for their used books.  This means that their inventory changes every day!  Jordan and I would take advantage of this, but we hate parting with any of our books, and having moved all of them upward of seven times over the last five years, I think we're committed to keeping every single one of our books.    

 


 Some of the cool posters and artwork that Bluestocking has.


Like most used bookstores, Bluestocking is perfect if you're looking to peruse.  They definitely don't have everything, but that's part of the fun!  Their collection isn't so huge that it feels impossible to simply look around and see what grabs you.  Jordan and I weren't looking for anything in particular, so we spent our time wandering the aisles and checking out different titles.  It was perfect.  Even though it was President's Day, the store wasn't too packed, which made for a relaxing and quiet experience.  I found a lot of really beautiful and unique editions of some of the most well-known works of literature, and it was difficult for me to pass up an especially striking copy of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility.  




Bluestocking boasts a really diverse array of sections, including everything from YA literature and plays to religion and spirituality and collectible editions.  Jordan especially loved their science fiction and fantasy section, and he spent most of his time there.  They have a lot of really classic titles that most chain bookstores don't carry, and he took home two very cool books that he's really excited about. 






I ended up going home with Isabel Allende's Daughter of Fortune, which I haven't read since high school and have been wanting to re-read.  I also grabbed one of Bluestocking's bookmarks, which says "Read a F*cking Book."  How could I not? 

Where are your favorite places to read and/or write?  

6 comments:

  1. This looks like the just-right kind of bookstore. A good mix of organization and treasure hunting. I'm glad you found some treasures to take home with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was really organized, which made perusing that made easier and more manageable. Some places are just too overwhelming (I always think of The Strand in New York). It's my favorite kind of bookstore!

      Delete
  2. I love treasure hunting in used bookstores, you really find all sorts of things that you never knew you wanted ... or even existed for that matter! There are many good books that have fallen through the cracks of the collective consciousness and many classics that tend to drift into stores like this. I remember as a child hunting through bookstores like this with my dad trying to complete our old paperback set of Edgar Rice Burroughs's Barsoom and Tarzan series. As such, I may have been one of the only people who was excited for, or enjoyed the John Carter of Mars movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, very true! I definitely stumbled on some titles that I had never heard of that look interesting. And yes, stores like this are perfect for collecting old books. That's awesome about your Edgar Ride Burrough's and Tarzan collections!

      Delete
  3. Garsh Alison what a beautiful portrait of our favorite place on the planet! The photos are great too. We appreciate your participation in the fun book tradition with us! Happy Hunting - Kris, Mary Tom & Dawn @bluesoxsd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, I really need to get back down to SD again.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut