Waiting on Wednesday: Rainbow Rowell

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Today I'm participating in a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.  Here's a look at two upcoming releases that I'm excited to read.

It's no secret that I love Rainbow Rowell.  I discovered her writing last January when I happened to pick up Eleanor & Park at the bookstore, and I've been hooked ever since.  I read all four of her novels last year and loved every one of them, though Eleanor & Park remains my favorite.  Rowell is so good at creating interesting characters who feel incredibly real.  They come off the page, and I can feel their emotions pulsing with every word.  Rowell also writes such hilarious and heartfelt stories, and from the first page, I feel completely immersed in her books.  I simply adore her writing, and I seriously want to be friends with her in real life.


Rowell is currently working on two upcoming projects: two YA graphic novels and Carry On, which is slated to be released in October 2015.  Fans of Fangirl (hehe) should be especially excited about Carry On, as it follows the fictional Simon Snow and Baz that Cath wrote about in Fangirl.  

via 

I can't wait to see Rowell dive into the fantasy world of Simon Snow.  I loved learning about Simon in Fangirl, and I think it will be interesting to see him at the center of a novel.  It's also clear in Fangirl that Simon's story is a thinly veiled reference to J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, and I'm excited to see how Rowell flushes out Simon's story, making it more his own.  

There's very little information about Rowell's upcoming graphic novel project.  She's working on the first graphic novel with Faith Erin Hicks, and she seems really excited about it.  But that's pretty much it!  Although historically I haven't read many comic books or graphic novels (I've probably read every Calvin and Hobbes strip, and two years ago, Jordan got me to read the Y: The Last Man series - but other than that, nothing), I'm so excited to read this.  Mainly because it's Rainbow Rowell and she's awesome!  I will happily read anything from her.  

Is anyone else excited about Rainbow Rowell's upcoming projects?  What books are you most looking forward to?   

15 comments:

  1. I love Rainbow Rowell, definitely can't wait for this one!!
    My WoW
    Naomi @The Perks Of Being Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! She's one of my favorite contemporary authors. I can't wait until October!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed Fangirl so I'm def intrigued about Carry On! I didn't know about the graphic novels though that's really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you'll definitely have to check out Carry On! I'm so intrigued to see what she does with it. :)

      Delete
  3. The only Rainbow I've read is Attachments, but Eleanor and Park is in the giant pile on my nightstand! I hope to get to it eventually...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must! I love, love, LOVE Eleanor & Park. I think I read it in a day - absolutely could not put it down. I think it's John Green who said, "Eleanor & Park reminded me not only what it was like to be young and in love, but also young and in love with a book." So true!

      Delete
  4. Someday I WILL read a Rainbow Rowell book! Everyone seems to love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you must! She's so, so good - I'm not surprised she's become so popular over the last year. Eleanor & Park is definitely a good one to start with. :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carry On sounds like a really interesting project! I love the sort of meta-fictional aspect of it. That it is a fictional book series being turned into a real book (series?). It kind of reminds me of the Nikki Heat books, the ones they release as if they were written by Richard Castle from the TV show Castle. I really like that sort of reality blurring publishing. Plus I am a fantasy fan and haven't read in of Rowell's books so maybe this will be my jumping on point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, good comparison! It's definitely an interesting project that crosses so many different fictional lines. I just can't wait to see what she does! And it's her first venture into fantasy. I'm excited to read this new genre from her!

      Delete
  7. I can't wait for Carry On! Or for when they reveal the finished cover! I love Rainbow Rowell and will pretty much read anything she writes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Rowell's covers are some of my favorite (Eleanor & Park and Fangirl are so beautiful), and I can't wait to see the Carry On cover. I'm with you - I will read anything she writes! Even her grocery list, as Hazel Grace says in The Fault in Our Stars. :)

      Delete
  8. AHHHHH!!! ME NEEDS CARRY ON!!! To be honest, I sometimes skipped it in Fangirl and didn't really pay much attention to it but what I did read, it was quite interesting and honestly, I don't care that I didn't really read what was in Fangirl because RAINBOW ROWELL!! I really screwed up punctuation in that last sentence...*sigh*

    ~Fari 0:) @ My Little Corner for Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes! I will read anything that Rainbow Rowell writes! I think Simon's story will be more interesting and engaging in a standalone novel. I can't wait for Carry On!

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut