It's Monday! What are You Reading?

Monday, February 16, 2015

Today I'm participating in a meme hosted by Book Journey.  Here's a look at what I've been reading lately and what's coming up for me.

Finished Last Week:

 

I really enjoyed The Girl on the Train and thought it was a tight, suspenseful, and satisfying mystery/thriller.  You can read my review of it here.

Jordan has had to work all weekend, including on Valentine's Day and President's Day, so it's been a pretty quiet three-day weekend for us.  I picked up To All the Boys I've Loved Before as a sort of Valentine's Day treat to myself, and I read it in a single day.  It was funny, relatable, heartfelt, sweet, and cute.  The writing was impressive, and it's always refreshing to find a YA author who can write beautifully.  Just because the primary audience is younger doesn't mean they don't want good writing, and Jenny Han really delivers.  I loved spending my Valentine's Day with Lara Jean and all the boys she's loved before, and I was pulling for her and Peter K. to end up together.  They have such a natural ease and tenderness between them, and I liked how much they challenged one another as people.  You'll have to read it yourself to see where Lara Jean ends up! 

Currently Reading:


This is a sort of "I'll try anything once" pick.  I remember seeing The Selection when it came out in 2012, but I wasn't that interested in the premise.  Since then, it's become one of the most popular and talked about series.  So I figured I would read the first book and see if I wanted to continue with the series.  I'm about halfway through, and I'm not loving it.  The writing is very underwhelming, and the characters feel pretty one dimensional and underdeveloped.  Plot-wise, this reminds me so much of The Hunger Games, what with the caste system separating the wealthy and impoverished, lottery contest, televised selection process, etc.  But we'll see.  I didn't like most of Divergent until the very end, and then I was totally hooked and it became one of my favorite dystopian YA series.

Coming Up:

 
I'm so excited about Where'd You Go, Bernadette.  I'm interested to see how Bernadette's fears and neuroses come alive on the page and to follow her daughter's search for her mother when she disappears.  I've heard so many great things about this novel, and I can't wait to dive into it. 

What have you been reading lately? 

6 comments:

  1. Where'd You Go Bernadette was a lot of fun. I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear it! I'm excited to start reading. :)

      Delete
  2. For the cover alone, Where'd You Go Bernadette wins all the prizes! Its just so striking. I know we aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover and what not, but let's be honest, when browsing a bookstore it is often the front cover, spine, and/or title that first draws us in to pick up the book. At least when not hunting for a specific author or recommendation. On that, admittedly minimal basis, of judgment. Where'd you go Bernadette takes the cake of your books this week. Having been lured in by the look of it all, I have finally read the back of the book, and it sounds like a really intriguing and fun read. Can't wait to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? It's such a fun and colorful cover. Like you, I try not to judge, but come on! This one is too perfect! Hopefully the story inside is as good as its cover.

      Delete
  3. The Girl on the Train is on my tbr list. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I also have the Jenny Han book on my ereader. I'm new to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy these! They were both really great reads. And I'm new to Jenny Han, too. She's a great writer, so I think I'll have to check out her other books.

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut