Waiting on Wednesday: Lair of Dreams

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Today I'm participating in a meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.  Here's a look at an upcoming release that I'm excited to read.

Lair of Dreams by Libba Bray
Expected publication date: July 7, 2015


Here's the description from Goodreads:

After a supernatural showdown with a serial killer, Evie O'Neill has outed herself as a Diviner. Now that the world knows of her ability to "read" objects, and therefore, read the past, she has become a media darling, earning the title, "America's Sweetheart Seer." But not everyone is so accepting of the Diviners' abilities...

Meanwhile, mysterious deaths have been turning up in the city, victims of an unknown sleeping sickness. Can the Diviners descend into the dreamworld and catch a killer?

I read The Diviners in January 2013, a few months after it came out and before I knew it was going to become a series.  I knew nothing about the book or Libba Bray when I bought it.  I just thought it looked interesting, and I devoured it while on vacation.  It's a delightful mix of historical fiction, YA, supernatural and the occult, mystery, and murder.  The characters are lively and engaging, with complex stories and secrets.  I particularly loved the protagonist Evie O'Neill.  She jumps off the page, and it's hard not to root for her, even when she keeps getting herself into complicated situations.  The 1920s New York City setting brings it all together, giving The Diviners a rich and diverse backdrop, as well as some great historical flare ("It's all jake!").    

I heard that Bray would be turning this book into a series and was already working on the next installment a few months after I finished The Diviners, and I was pretty excited.  I think The Diviners works great as a standalone book, without a lot of obvious setup for sequels at the end.  But there's so much left for Bray to explore, and I can't wait to see where she takes the story and her characters.  Lair of Dreams was originally slated for a 2014 release, first the summer and then the fall.  But now it's scheduled to be published in July 2015, and I really hope they stick to this release date because I'm so anxious for this book to finally come out! 

Bray wrote a really beautiful and deeply personal entry on her blog in March 2014, which may help explain some of the publication delays (though I'm not sure, so please don't take my word on this).  It's also one of the most moving personal accounts of depression that I've ever read, and I so appreciate her candidness about her experience.   

Is anyone else excited to read Lair of Dreams when it comes out?  What books are you most looking forward to?   

6 comments:

  1. Yes! I love Libba Bray! I've had The Diviners since it was release since, what?, two years ago and I still haven't read the whole thing yet! It's a chuncker of a book but I want to read it before I get this one :) Great pick this week! Check out my WoW:

    Crystal @ Books Unbound

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely long, but so worth it. I didn't want it to end! And I loved your WoW pick! I hadn't heard of that series, but I've added it to my must-read list.

      Delete
  2. I had the original release date for this marked in my calendar. I was sad to see it pushed back, but such is the way of life. I am very excited for this one to come out. Supernatural/Fantasy Mystery books are my go to guilty pleasure. I have always loved that genre-combo, and the 1920's New York setting really adds to the atmosphere of this series. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! I had been looking forward to it all last year. And the combination of supernatural, fantasy, mystery, and 1920s New York work perfectly in this book. I can't wait to see what Bray does in the sequels!

      Delete
    2. All I know is that when the book comes out, 20's slang is going to start infiltrating my daily speech again. And think that's all jake!

      Delete
    3. Absolutely! I can't wait to pick up all of those colloquialisms again. It's one of the things I enjoyed most in The Diviners!

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut