It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

Monday, January 26, 2015

Today I'm participating in a meme hosted by Book Journey.  Here's a look at what I've been reading lately and what's coming up for me. 

Finished Last Week:



The Paris Winter was just OK.  Not great or even really good, but not bad.  The conceit is interesting, but I felt that the execution left a lot to be desired.  I'll be posting my review later this week.   

Tell the Wolves I'm Home was simply stunning.  I can't believe it's a debut novel - it's so good with some of the best writing that I've seen in a while.  I almost feel like I can't even talk about this book, at least not yet.  It left me speechless.

Currently Reading:


When I went to Europe this fall, the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam was one of my favorite stops, and I loved their collection of 17th century doll houses.  The Miniaturist focuses on one of these doll houses, telling the story of the young wife who received the house from her husband and her efforts to furnish it.  I'll be interested to see everything that this fictional account explores.

Coming Up:



The Fortune Hunter is another one I picked up because of my trip to Europe.  Vienna was one of my favorite cities, one I hope to visit again because there is so much that I didn't get to see or explore.  I loved learning about Empress Elisabeth of Austria (called "Sisi" for short), especially her obsession with beauty, youth, and fine clothing.  Apparently there's an entire museum in Vienna dedicated to her clothing!  The Fortune Hunter focuses on Sisi's relationship with a cavalry captain, and I can't wait to read it and learn more about her.  I think she's going to be a very rich and interesting character. 

Like Room, I started The Night Circus a while ago and never finished (oh life).  I enjoyed it a lot - it's such a descriptive book, and Morgenstern is wonderful at creating a magical tone and atmosphere throughout.  I'm excited to go back and finally finish this one.  

What have you been reading lately?  

10 comments:

  1. You have some lovely reads! Those covers are gorgeous and they all sound like great books. Enjoy!

    Brooke at http://www.brookeblogs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm excited to dig into a lot of these.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you loved Tell The Wolves as much as I did. And if you ever do find the words, I'm looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally loved it! It was so, so good and reminded me a lot of Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. I'm hoping to post my review next week.

      Delete
  3. Tell the Wolves is definitly being added to my to-read list. And I a happy to see the Night Circus on yours. I really love that book. It is an odd but truly enchanting novel, one of the the most atmospheric books I have read in a long time and a very enjoyable book. So many books that have "magic" in them explain so much in so much detail that they can sometimes kill the magic. That book goes the other way, giving you much more of the flavor, so to speak. I am really excited to see what you think of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to go back and finish The Night Circus. I really liked it when I started it a couple years back, and I can't even remember why I didn't finish (work? life? who knows?). It is very atmospheric, and I can't wait to see how everything comes together.

      Delete
    2. In terms of slow reveals and unveiling mysteries, I remember the Night Circus feeling satisfying, but I also remember it being more of an experiential book than a plot driven one (if that makes sense).

      Delete
    3. Totally makes sense. I think those kind of books can be especially good, when they're done well. :)

      Delete
  4. The miniaturist has such a beautiful cover!! *-* I want to read that book!!
    Ps. I have a blog as well, if you want to stop by I'd appreciate it so much! It's both in Italian and in English :3 -> http://frannieinthepages.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful! And the story is pretty good. Thanks for sharing your blog - I've added it to my reader. :)

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut