Favorite Quotes Friday: Anne of Avonlea

Friday, January 16, 2015

I thought it would be fun to introduce a new weekly feature, so welcome to the first installment of Favorite Quotes Friday!  It's pretty straightforward: each Friday, I'll share a favorite quote and a few words about why it's important to me or has stuck with me.  Most quotes will probably be from books, but I'll also share those from movies, TV shows, music - basically anything that is memorable.  I'd also love to hear your favorite quotes as well, so please feel free to share!
This week's quote is from Anne of Avonlea by Lucy Maud Montgomery: 

Perhaps, after all, romance did not come into one's life with pomp and blare, like a gay knight riding down; perhaps it crept to one's side like an old friend through quiet ways; perhaps it revealed itself in seeming prose, until some sudden shaft of illumination flung athwart its pages betrayed the rhythm and the music, perhaps...perhaps...love unfolded naturally out of a beautiful friendship, as a golden-hearted rose slipping from its green sheath. 

Jordan and I chose this passage as one of the readings during our wedding ceremony.  As English majors, we have read and studied many of the great literary passages about love, but this was the only reading that we considered for our wedding.   In many ways, Jordan and I are like Anne and Gilbert: intellectual companions and best friends who slowly and quietly fell in love with one another. 

I remember reading the Anne of Green Gables series as a kid and being struck by Anne and Gilbert's relationship, as well as this passage.  Theirs was the kind of relationship that I imagined for myself when I grew up.  It felt so different from the glamorized and romanticized relationships that young girls are often fed in Disney movies.  It felt attainable, and as I grew into a teenager and eventually an adult, Anne and Gilbert's relationship always stuck with me.  To find someone who pushed and challenged you, who shared your passions and interests and deepest desires, who could be your best friend and your life partner - it was what I hoped for in a relationship.  

Soon after we started dating, I asked Jordan what he imagined in a romantic relationship and in a girlfriend.  After some thought, he responded simply, "To me, a girlfriend is your best friend who you hold hands with."  I smiled and immediately thought of Anne and Gilbert, and when Jordan and I got married almost four years later, we knew that this simple and beautiful passage was perfect for us and our wedding.    

Photo by Aubrey and Blake of Jerry Yoon Photographers 

Is anyone else an Anne of Green Gables fan?  What's one of your favorite quotes? 

2 comments:

  1. That is a truly lovely quotation and a beautifully different perspective on love and romance than is often seen these days.

    As for me one of my all time favorite quotes goes more toward the absurd.

    “Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”
    ― Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know that you can shorten your links with Shortest and earn cash from every click on your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut