Favorite Concert Venues: The Troubadour

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Jordan and I love going to concerts.  I probably love them more than he does, but he's a very willing concert companion, which I appreciate.  We've been to some of the most well-known and best concert venues throughout Southern California, and one of my favorites is the Troubadour

The Troubadour is a laid-back, small-ish concert venue in West Hollywood.  It's mostly standing room only with a few seats in the balcony, and although it can get pretty packed, I've never found it to be uncomfortable or claustrophobic.  Because it's on the smaller side, you don't have to arrive right when the doors open to get a spot with a good view - you can see from pretty much anywhere, and even the back isn't that far from the stage.  Moreover, tickets are usually between $10-15 with no minimum drink requirement, which makes it one of the more affordable venues in the Los Angeles area and an economical choice for frequently concert-goers like us.

A lot of really great up-and-coming bands have played at the Troubadour, and we've been able to see awesome headlining shows from artists like Kongos, Bad Suns, and Twin Atlantic.  A lot of these artists spent the past year touring as openers for other more well-known groups, so it was fun to see them headline at such an intimate venue.  The Kongos show in particular remains one of my favorite concerts of 2014.  They played for a solid hour and a half, pausing for an impromptu jazz session in the middle of their set where they really started to groove.  It was amazing.
 
Kongos

Kongos

Kongos

Kongos

Bad Suns

Bad Suns

Twin Atlantic

Twin Atlantic

Twin Atlantic

Because so many groups that play at the Troubadour aren't super famous, the venue is able to get local bands as openers, and Jordan and I have discovered some great new artists this way.  Our favorite is Badflower, a group that really knows how to rock.  They have a solid sound, and their sets are always tight and energetic.   

 Badflower

 Badflower

Does anyone else like going to concerts as much as I do?  What are some of your favorite venues?  

4 comments:

  1. That is all sorts of awesome! I have never been a huge concert-goer so I can't say I have a favorite venue, but I do think that those who have the opportunity to attend events at such intimate venues are very fortunate indeed! Kongos is quickly becoming one of my new favorite bands too, so I am indeed jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! I much prefer the smaller and more intimate venues since I don't love being completely packed in with strangers. And if you can see Kongos, I'd recommend it! They're even better live, which is almost hard to believe since their album is so good. :)

      Delete
  2. Kongos are amazing! Nothing really beats rock accordion. And they are one band that is even better live than over the radio, not in small part thanks to their awesom "Come Together" cover and their roadie who comes on to rap during it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their "Come Together" cover! One of the best reasons to see them live. So, so good!

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut