What I'm Reading: Mockingjay

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Where has the week gone? I can't believe it's already Wednesday! This holiday weekend really threw me for a loop. My entire family (sans my mom) came down to Southern California to visit Jordan and me, and they kept us very busy with a few jam-packed days at Disneyland. I'm exhausted just thinking about all that we did! How was your President's Day weekend? Did you get up to anything fun for the holiday?

Anyway, I'm back in action and am excited to introduce this week's book. After dragging my heels quite a bit, I'm finally digging into Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.


I know, I know, I'm horribly behind. Especially considering that I started The Hunger Games trilogy way back in October and am just now getting around to finishing the series. I have a love-hate relationship with these books, and I've put off reading each installment for as long as possible. I need time to process each book and to get some emotional distance before diving into the next one. But I'm determined to finish the series before the movie comes out, and I'm excited (and nervous) to see what Collins has in store in this final book.

I'm sure most of you have already read The Hunger Games, and I hope that you'll come back next week to talk about it with me. Although I have mixed feelings about the trilogy, I enjoy discussing them to no end. Even when the books disappoint me, I find their failures and flaws so fascinating, and I love talking about every facet of them!

For those of you who are even more behind than me (no shame!), here's a brief description of Mockingjay:

"Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what's worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss's family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins's groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year."

Be sure to check in next week - I'm crossing my fingers for a lively discussion! Tomorrow I'll be talking about Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. That book was fascinating! 

What have you been reading lately? Any Hunger Games fans out there? Are we excited for March 23rd?  

11 comments:

  1. I'm excited to be able to talk about this one next week! Somewhat like you, I had a love hate relationship with this final chapter in the trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited, too! I can't wait to talk about this next week - I have some pretty intense feelings about this book, and I'm glad I can finally talk about the whole series now that I've finished the final installment. I even stayed up till 2 am just to finish it!

      Delete
  2. I'm excited too! I want to re-read the series before the movie comes out, and I hope I'll have time to do that. The third book was my least favorite of them, but I can't wait to see what everyone else thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I finally finished the whole series in time for the movie! I wasn't sure I was going to make it, but I didn't want to wimp out and say, "Well, at least I read the first two before the first movie came out!" Can't wait to discuss very soon! :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read it yet, but everyone keeps saying I must, so I downloaded them onto my Kindle last week. I probably won't have time to read them until this summer, but we'll see. I'll just have to stay away from your blog next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll try not to give anything away! I don't think I'm in the "must read" camp as intensely as a lot of other fans, so I say read them when you find the time. They'll still be there this summer, and I'm sure people will still be talking about them.

      Delete
  4. Can not wait to break down this with you next week. Please tell me you will walk away from Mockingjay a Gale believer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's going to be epic! And here's a preview: I loathe Gale entirely. I can't believe you're still Team G!

      Delete
  5. The third installment is dividing to say the least. I for one was a huge fan of the series before the third book, now I have more mixed feelings. It is still a good series in my opinion, but there are some odd turns in the final book (character choices and plot wise). Be prepared. I will be really interested to see what you think about the book, especially after your comments about the first two in the series in one of your earlier posts. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have lots and lots and lots of thoughts. It's hard to keep biting my tongue, but I'm saving it for next week. I can't wait to hear more about what you think! I have a feeling we'll agree on a lot.

      Delete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut