An Introduction

Monday, January 30, 2012

I've been thinking a lot about opening lines recently. How to begin a book is pretty crucial, and there is an impressive array of first sentences out there.

Some are simple and straightforward: "Mother died today." - Albert Camus, The Stranger

Some are vague and foreboding: "124 was spiteful." - Toni Morrison, Beloved

Some are humorous and easily recognizable: "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife." - Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

And some set up the central issue of the novel right from the beginning: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." - Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

I wish that all of my reflections had led me to some grand way of introducing this blog, but I've never been very good with beginnings (or titles - I'm the queen of bad puns). It's something I'm hoping to work on in the future. For now, here is my best attempt at a meaningful opening.

I'm Allison, a former English major who, after six years and two degrees, has rediscovered her love of literature.


It is by no means impossible to fall in love with literature while in school; in fact, I discovered many of my favorite books while I was a student. But my recent experience in graduate school, while productive and formative in many ways, did a number on my ability to simply enjoy good literature as such, and it is only in the newfound freedom of my non-academic life that I have rediscovered the simple pleasure of a good book.

I have the distinct privilege of being married to Jordan, a fellow book lover and literary nerd.


Together we are quite literally building our home one book at a time. We have each moved six times in the last two years (and two of those moves were across the country), and we never left a book behind; in fact, our collections only grew. We dream of one day living in a home with a bona fide library complete with wingback chairs. 

This blog is where I come to talk about what I'm reading (and perhaps watching), as well as the ups and downs of the writing process. You'll also find stories about our life as newlyweds, ranging from my adventures in amateur cooking to the DIY projects I plan to tackle as we settle into our first apartment and try to make it a home.

We are the book lovers. And welcome to our nest.

Xoxo,

Allison

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You are too kind, Lauren! The design process involves a lot of trial and error for me, but I'm slowly getting the hang of things. :)

      Delete
  2. One of the hardest things about moving in with Dave was figuring out which copy of our many duplicate books we'd get to keep. :)

    Love the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that is so us! I think we decided early on that we'd either just keep multiple copies of the same book or that Jordan would get rid of his copy. He is slightly less attached to his books than I am to mine - I will NOT get rid of any on principle. And having moved them from California to New York and back again, I feel like I kind of just have to keep standing my ground on this one.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving how your new blog looks. Looking forward to following your at your new internet home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Morgan! I'm very excited about this new venture - it's a much better fit for me. And I'm utilizing lots of your tips on blogging, so I'm excited! (I already have a document full of blog topics and ideas.)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It was definitely a slow and often painful process, but it was a lot of fun to do it myself. I kept thinking I would eventually invest in a professional blog design, but then I thought, "Hey, why not try to do something myself?" I know this is far from professional, but I've had a lot of fun playing around with the design, and I've learned a ton! :)

      Delete
  5. The new blog looks amazing! I really like the follow me buttons.

    First posts, like first lines are hard. It is very easy to go overboard a la Bulwer-Lytton's much maligned "It was a dark and stormy night..." That line goes on for quite a while. Or err the other way with the overly brief, blunt and a bit off putting. I am looking at you, Camus. You however have hit the Goldilocks zone, just right. I like your ruminations on openings and I think that it serves as a perfect new beginning to the new blog, one that already seems like a much better and inspiring fit for you. I can't wait to keep reading what you have in store on the Book Lovers Nest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment is so very kind! I always struggle with beginnings, and I'm excited to see that this one struck a good chord with so many readers. Thanks for following along, and like you, I'm excited about this new venture!

      Delete
  6. is it weird that sometimes i wake up with "the marley's were dead to begin with" in my head??? there's a first line that sticks w/ ya :)

    i'm jealous you guys are in so-cal... i'm ready to be done w/ this Seattle weather & move somewhere warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are too funny, Amy! That is quite the first line.

      And you should totally come down to So-Cal! It's so nice here - after living on the east coast for a few years, I am so happy to be back in the West. Do you think you guys will eventually end up down here? The weather is fabulous! Flip-flops year-round!

      Delete
  7. I'm captivated by your introduction and your writing style. It's so clear and witty. I love that! Your blog is adorable, too, and I will definitely be following along for good book recs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about my writing! Thank you so much, Sara - you are so sweet. :) And I'm also excited about all the good books in store for us.

      Delete
  8. Love your new home on the 'net! The new look is fantastic too — I can't wait to read on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much! It's been a lot of fun to conceptualize and put together this new space. :) I'm having a great time already!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs with floral elements by createthecut